It’s been a whole week since I last posted anything here! I have a pretty good reason for the lack of recipes/everyday musings… we adopted a cat! She is the most adorable creature I have ever laid eyes on. We are both completely besotted over here. Her name is Anouk and she is perfect. Being a new cat mama is pretty tiring though. Lots of late nights and early mornings, she’s worth it though.
The weather took a very dull turn the last few days after some gorgeous sunshine filled days. So, no lovely light for shooting this tonic today. The result is something that I think looks quite moody and witchy, which is fine. I’m into it. Making potions and tonics is something I like to do everyday. Whether it’s cacao, maca and tocos swirled into some warm almond milk or a floral concoction like today. The ritual of making teas and tonics is something I find really grounding and then the actual drink is always filled with goodness. Win, win.
Hibiscus, raspberries and rosewater are all amazing ingredients for your skin, added bonus!
This tonic has such a gorgeous dark pink hue and a heady floral taste with some sharpness to it. I’ve made this as a concentrate because that way it’s easy to have it with some cold water, sparkling water or warm water. Whatever you fancy. I do however, see some sparkling water being the best way to go here.
Hibiscus, Raspberry and Rose Tonic
- 500ml water
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 cup raspberries (you could use fresh if they’re in season and if not then frozen are a good option, I used them here)
- 2 tsp rosewater
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 1/2 tsp sweetener (maple syrup or raw honey) *optional
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Place the hibiscus and raspberries in a jug or large jar.
- Once the water has boiled add it to the jar. Let this brew for at least an hour.
- Drain the water through a sieve into a jug to catch the flowers and raspberries (compost these).
- Stir in the rosewater, lemon juice and sweetener if using.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week.