I am so happy that the mornings are starting to get a little brighter now. It makes me want to get up and get going straight away. For some reason it really does feel much easier to be more productive when the sun is shining. Pottering about the kitchen in the morning is one of my favourite ways to start the day. It feels so good to be creating straight out of bed, whether it’s a nice big breakfast or if it’s preparing something for later in the day or week. This morning it was the latter. After a quick bowl of blueberry and maca oats I decided to make a salad for the next couple of days. I decided on this particular one because the brightness of the sun had me craving something crisp, colourful and sharp. This raw slaw is exactly that!
This is a really simple, throw everything in a bowl, mix and let it sit kind of affair. Perfect for first thing in the morning if you want to have something on hand to have with lunch or dinner. I think we will be having this accompanied with a baked sweet potato and a lot of humous.
Ginger & Lime Slaw
For the vegetables
- 2 medium carrots, peeled or grated
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 handful kale, washed, stems and ribs removed, torn.
- 4 radish, thinly sliced
For the dressing
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ginger (roughly the same size as your garlic clove), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- pinch of chilli flakes
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Put the kale in a large mixing bowl and massage (this is to break the leaves down which makes it easier on the digestive system and also takes away some of the bitterness).
- Once the kale has been massaged for a few minutes, add the rest of the vegetables and the dressing ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Cover and put in the fridge to set for about an hour at least. This lets the flavours properly meld together to create a sharp, zingy salad with a little heat.