As I sit down to write this I’m just back from a walk in the park with Steven and sipping on a mug of herbal tea. I’m feeling a little brighter, lighter and a whole lot fresher for it. The sun is shining down and the wind is still cool. The easiest, nicest way to hit the refresh button. Plus, daffodils were popping their sunshine-yellow heads up everywhere which is guaranteed to bring a smile to pretty much anybody’s face. Walks through the park are the perfect punctuation to those days which are spent cooped up inside, busying about and feeling overwhelmed. Mother Nature has a way of making you feel a little more relaxed and present.
Speaking of brighter things, these muffins have some bright, sharp, sweet flavours mixed in. Grapefruit isn’t used nearly enough in my kitchen. The smell is divine. So zingy. Blueberries however, those guys are regulars. Their delicate sweet flavour manages to find its way into many things; pancakes, breads, cakes, salads… the list goes on. This morning though, it was muffins. I don’t tend to make muffins often at all but how perfect are they for breakfast with a huge mug of tea?! I think I may have found a new favourite.
I’m already daydreaming about all the other flavour combinations that I will undoubtedly be making in the not so distant future (almond and cacao is currently top of the list, obviously).
This particular mix of flavours was a very welcome change of pace to my usual morning meal. Also, grapefruit is just so gorgeous. It’s beautiful, the colour. Woah. I’m in love with this particular citrus fruit.
Blueberry & Grapefruit Muffins with Oat Crumb
Makes approx. 6 muffins
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 small banana, mashed
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 2 tbsp water and set aside for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 grapefruit, juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup blueberries
For the crumb topping
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, solid
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180C and line a muffin tray with cases.
- In a mixing bowl add the buckwheat flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda. Mix together.
- Add the mashed banana, maple syrup, chia egg and vanilla paste. Stir to combine well.
- Add the grapefruit juice, coconut oil and mix.
- Add the almond milk in stages. Stir well to make sure everything is fully combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin cases (about 3 tbsp per case).
- Bake for 15 minutes then turn tray and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Whilst they are in the oven, make the oat crumb by adding all the ingredients to a bowl (oats, sugar and oil) and using your fingers to mix well until it resembles crumbs.
- Take the muffins out of the oven and top with the oat crumb. Bake for a further 10 minutes.