My love for salads is eternal and it upsets me that they’ve endured quite a bad reputation. Limp, lifeless, bland. So sad. Salads should be vibrant, colourful, flavourful and awesome. This one encompasses all of these things (in my opinion). Something that is getting me ridiculously excited about future salads is the window boxes that Steven is currently assembling for me, he loves a DIY project. I can’t wait to grow my own fresh herbs! So far on my ‘to grow’ list I have; rosemary, thyme, dill, basil and mint. I’m especially looking forward to incorporating the fresh mint into many smoothies and juices (specifically my grapefruit green juice). The thought of being able to have grown something myself and then prepare it into something nourishing is magic. I feel super thankful for that, even if it is only a small selection of herbs from a window box (the dream is a garden fit to burst with homegrown vegetables, one day!).
The combination of flavours and textures in this salad come together to create a bright, sweet-savoury and filling bowl. Roasted red cabbage may now be one of my favourite additions to dishes. Especially with the mix of tamari, maple and lime juice. A hit of goodness from my favourite green, cavolo nero, and the crispiness of the potatoes means this will for sure be in regular rotation for a while in our home.
Warm Tamari & Lime Potato Bowl with a Tangy Tahini Drizzle
- 2 handfuls of baby potatoes, rinsed and chopped in half
- 2 cups sliced red cabbage, rinsed
- 8 stems of cavolo nero, rinsed, thick middle stalk removed and sliced
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 4 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 medium radishes, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 200C and line two trays with baking paper.
- Place the potatoes on a tray and drizzle with olive oil (roughly 2 1/2 tbsp) put in the oven and bake for approx. an hour, giving them a shake half way through. They should be golden and crispy on the outside.
- Place the cabbage on a baking tray and dress with olive oil (roughly 2 tbsp), lime juice, maple syrup and tamari.
- Put the cabbage in the oven for 20 minutes (time this with the last 20 minutes of the potatoes). Shake halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Place the cavolo nero in a pan with some olive oil (roughly 1 tbsp), salt and pepper. Lightly sauté until it starts to soften.
- Add the cooked cabbage and sesame seeds to the pan with the cavolo nero and continue to lightly sauté for a few minutes.
- Assemble your bowl with the mix of cabbage and kale on the bottom, followed by the sliced radish and topped with the potatoes.
For the Tangy Tahini Drizzle
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- warm water to thin, roughly 2-3 tbsp
- Combine all ingredients and mix well until smooth and creamy.
Drizzle over your salad bowl and add another squeeze of lime if you wish (I did)!