Since primary school I have always been a packed lunch kind of gal, all the way through high school, into my full time dance training days and even now into the irregular life of freelancing. The food that I take with me needs to fill me up with a ton of energy. Oatcakes might seem simple or bland but they have saved me many a lunch/snack/second breakfast/dinner time, trust me.
These oatcakes have lots of energy boosting power. Loaded with oats, quinoa, flax seeds and buckwheat they are filling and wholesome. The perfect starting point for lots of awesome toppings. Seriously, we all know the possibilities are endless. Sweet & savoury. What more could you want from the perfect portable lunchbox staple?!
It’s not even just the toppings that have endless possibilities… but also the add ins! The recipe here is my most basic one with just a bit of salt and pepper. However, cinnamon, ginger and a splash of maple syrup would be the perfect sweet pick me up to have with a cup of tea mid-morning or afternoon. Adding in rosemary and garlic or even some heat with cayenne or chilli flakes would be a fab idea. As I said, endless.
Makes approx. 14 oatcakes
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa (cook and rinse this before incorporating)
- 1/2 cup flaxseed (grind this to a meal before incorporating)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour* (plus a little more for dusting)
- 1/3 cup water
- salt & cracked black pepper to taste
* Spelt flour or wholewheat would also work here
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl until a dough forms.
- Take out the dough, knead and press flat about 1/2cm in thickness. The dough should hold together but come apart at the edges when pressed.
- Cut dough into your desired shape. I went with using a glass to create circle oatcakes (approx. 14) but you could also score the dough across diagonally and break off into squares/rectangles once cooked and cooled.
- Place evenly on a lightly dusted baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes (flipping halfway through) at 180C.
Enjoy with humous, soup, avocado, almond butter, cashew cheese, really anything you fancy!