Happy Friday!! Today is a good day. Lots of fluffy snow falling and the premier of Scottish Dance Theatre’s new work. Oh, AND these guys.
I’m currently sitting at my desk looking out the window watching the snow fall with a TED talk on in the background. Welcoming all the chill vibes and enjoying this calm moment before the craziness of this weekend begins. If you know me at all you will probably know that I am someone who prefers a night in with a cup of tea, a good book or film over a night out with lots of people and alcohol. BUT tomorrow night I am getting my cocktail making skills out (I’m not actually sure if I have any?!) and slipping my dancing shoes on for a Hen Night. Woah, I know.
Anyway, I thought I’d leave some links here to a couple of things that I also hope to enjoy this weekend (and maybe you can too).
As I mentioned above, Scottish Dance Theatre’s double bill this weekend. Having seen one of the pieces quite a few times and a few snippets of the new work (perks of working for this incredible company), I would highly recommend a trip to the theatre this weekend if you find yourself in Dundee. They will also be touring this double bill if you miss it!
Jessica Murnane’s new podcast, The Cookbook Deal. I really can’t wait to get my hands on her new book.
So, these guys. I’m not too much of a sweet tooth, I usually prefer more of a deep, bitter, intense taste when I want a ‘treat’. The perfect example of this would be a date stuffed with almond butter or tahini with a few cacao nibs on there too. Best. Snack. Ever. However, my man really does have the biggest sweet tooth I have ever come across. These guys kind of meet us in the middle. The caramel flavour from the dates, sweetness from the maple syrup, the nuttiness from the pistachios and a good sprinkling of salt. Plus, they are ridiculously easy to make. Also, the green and rosy pink colour from the pistachios is just so dreamy that I want to sprinkle them on everything I can find.
Dark Chocolate & Pistachio Bites
Makes approx. 10 bites
- 6 Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachios
- aprrox. 40g of dark chocolate (vegan)
- pink himalayan salt to taste
- Put dates, almond butter, maple syrup and a pinch of salt in a blender and blend up the ingredients come together to form something like a dense, sticky dough.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Roll the date dough into balls and then slightly flatten.
- Sprinkle with pistachios.
- Put in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Whilst they are in the freezer, melt the dark chocolate by putting about 1 inch of water in a saucepan and placing a glass mixing bowl with the chocolate in it on top, put on a low/medium heat. Stir until fully melted.
- Once the bites are out of the freezer, drizzle with the melted chocolate (you could add a little sprinkle of salt on top also). Then pop back in the freezer again for about 30 minutes.
*It is best to keep these chilled until just before serving although they will keep their shape they might get a bit sticky/melt a little if they are sitting out for too long.
*If you prefer you could use flaked or crushed almonds instead of pistachios for a more neutral flavour, I have done this and they still taste great!