Anyone who knows me well can tell you confidently that I am a creature of habit (they probably don’t need to know me particularly well to establish this fact). This bit of information is also true of my breakfast habits. Since my siblings and I were able to eat semi-solids we have been raised on porridge, maybe that has something to do with living in cold Scotland but who knows. Porridge every morning. We were told that this particular breakfast food was central heating for our bodies. Whilst I still really love a bowl of porridge in the morning (with warm almond milk, blueberries, apples, cinnamon and nut butter) sometimes I crave something a bit crunchier. Enter Granola.
I’ve never really been a fan of store bought granola because it is so super sweet and almost always has a strong buttery taste (?!). My granola love really began once I started making my own creations at home. Something that wasn’t too sweet but tasted chocolatey, a little nutty and had good texture and structural integrity (in other words could cluster well).
This is the recipe I use again and again. I will swap the nuts from time to time, sometimes it’s almonds or walnuts or occasionally cashews. The tahini is also swapped for almond butter quite regularly. It’s addictive and I eat it mainly from the jar it’s being stored in by the handful.
This granola contains a lot of fabulously healthy ingredients. Buckwheat (which, amazingly, is not a form of wheat) is high in both fibre and protein, a good choice for breakfast, and cacao is great at providing some good vibes which is always a nice start to the day.
So many ways to eat this granola! Have it simply with almond milk (warm or cold), with coconut yoghurt, use it as a topping in smoothie bowls or porridge. It also tastes great alongside other toppings like banana or berries.
Cacao Tahini Granola
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup raw untoasted buckwheat (rinse before using)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (as a liquid)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- pinch of pink himalayan salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C and line a tray with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl mix together the oats, buckwheat, chia seeds, walnuts and coconut.
- Combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao, tahini and salt together. Mix well until smooth and glossy.
- Pour your cacao mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and stir together until everything is evenly coated with the cacao.
- Spread the granola onto the baking tray evenly and flatten.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180 C.
- Let cool and then break up into clusters.